The new EPIC controller and RIO I/O module provide more memory and storage to support the latest Ignition release.
Your now have more options when designing your groov EPIC or RIO systems. Introducing the latest additions to the groov family of products:
- GRV-EPIC-PR2 – This groov EPIC controller has more memory and disk space—3.75 GB RAM and 22 GB user space on an embedded industrial SSD—and it ships with Ignition 8 pre-installed.
- GRV-R7-MM2001-10 – The second release of groov RIO (intelligent, distributed I/O for the IIoT) includes extra memory and space for Ignition 8. It also functions as a gateway to PLCs and other third-party devices.
If your projects involve edge-oriented applications—like operational equipment effectiveness (OEE), predictive maintenance (PdM), remote condition-based monitoring (CbM), or digital transformation/IIoT—take a closer look at these new product options.
The GRV-EPIC-PR2 Edge Programmable Industrial Controller is an embedded Linux®, real-time controller with gateway functions. This groov EPIC® processor provides control, connectivity, data handling, and visualization at the edge of your network and is ideal for industrial internet of things (IIoT) applications or any automation application. With more memory than its pioneering predecessor (GRV-EPIC-PR1), it can handle the requirements of version 8 of Ignition Edge® (a product of Inductive Automation®).
The modern design of the GRV-EPIC-PR2 offers a condensed and sturdy unit that features a resistive-touch, high-resolution LCD display for I/O and network configuration, troubleshooting, and system HMI. The LCD display lifts to provide easy access to the power button, power supply connectors, network interfaces, ports, and status LEDs.
- Dual, independent Gigabit Ethernet network interfaces enable the processor to maintain separate connections to your back office network and your controls network.
- Dual USB ports extend the capabilities of the processor so it can handle serial communications, communicate with touchscreen monitors, or connect to your network with approved WiFi adapters.
- HDMI port displays configuration and groov View HMI on an external large screen, which is also useful for OEM applications where the EPIC system is built into a machine.
The groov EPIC processor includes security features to help you build a secure network:
- Two independent Ethernet interfaces that segment trusted networks from untrusted networks
- Built-in, configurable device firewall
- User accounts and authentication required for access (manage accounts locally or through LDAP)
- No default username or password
- Data encryption and security certificate management
- Publish-subscribe data communication option using MQTT/Sparkplug
- Opto 22 cryptographically signed build, so rogue firmware or software cannot be uploaded to the EPIC
For more information on these and other security features, see the groov EPIC Cybersecurity Design and Best Practices Technical Note.
Software included: groov Manage, PAC Project Basic, groov View, Node-RED, Ignition Edge®
- Commission your system with web-based groov Manage, viewable by authorized users from the integrated touchscreen or from a computer or mobile device.
- Program your EPIC using flowchart-based PAC Control with optional scripting. Or use any IEC 61131-3 compliant language (like Function Block Diagram and Ladder Diagram) with the CODESYS® Development System and runtime. Or build your own custom program with Secure Shell access (SSH).
- Easily build the HMI you need for all your systems, devices, and data using groov View. Then securely use your HMI locally on the EPIC’s high-resolution touchscreen and from anywhere on any authorized computer or mobile device. You can also build a traditional Microsoft® Windows®-based HMI using PAC Display.
- Create simple logic flows with Node-RED. Use pre-built nodes to exchange data with equipment, online services, and more.
- Connect to Allen-Bradley® , Siemens®, and many other PLCs with the included OPC UA drivers from Ignition Edge® version 8 (requires a groov Ignition Edge version 8 license).
- Efficiently exchange data for IIoT projects using MQTT communications with Sparkplug payload, through either Ignition Edge (requires a groov Ignition Edge version 8 license) or the groov Manage MQTT client.
- Run Ignition or Ignition Edge on the groov EPIC at the edge of your network; no PC needed (requires a groov Ignition Edge version 8 license, or for full Ignition, contact us for licensing information).
Mounting and I/O
The GRV-EPIC-PR2 mounts on a groov EPIC chassis with a power supply and up to 16 groov I/O modules (analog, discrete, and serial) for real-time control, monitoring, and data acquisition. The groov EPIC processor includes 96 proportional-integral-derivative loops for PID loop control.
Available I/O features include:
- Channel-to-channel isolation
- Quadrature counting
- Pulse generation and measurement
- Frequency and period measurement
- TPO (time-proportional output)
- Thermocouple linearization
- Minimum/maximum values
- Offset & gain
- Simple moving average
- Output clamping
- Average filter weight
Features vary depending on the I/O module.